Thursday 18 February 2016

Books that I loved during my childhood/early teen years!

Hey there!

Hope you're having a fantastic day! Today I thought I'd discuss some of the series and stand alone novels that I loved during my childhood and early teens. I've always been the type of person to re-read books over and over again. For example, I've read the Harry Potter series around 13 times! So there are many books like these that I continually re-read while I was still in school.

So, here are the top ten books/series that I loved during my childhood/early teens (in no particular order, except the first one):

1. Harry Potter series (duh) by J.K. Rowling
As usual when I mention Harry Potter, no explanation required.

2. Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
This seems to be a series that loads of readers loved when they were young. Looking back on it, they seem like they should have creeped me out way more than they did, but I still adore these books!

3. North Child by Edith Pattou
I haven't heard anything on book blogs or booktube about this book, but I've read it so many times, even as I've gotten to my late teens. This novel is loosely based on The Beauty and the Beast, and is incredibly touching, a little eery and super adventurous!

4. Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman
This is a series that I feel could be enjoyed by both children and adults. Based in an alternate Italy, it is filled with mystery, culture, romance and adventure. Absolutely beautiful.

5. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Another super popular series, and for a very very good reason! The Percy Jackson series teaches you loads about Greek mythology whilst following Percy on his exciting adventures in Camp Half-Blood and beyond.

6. 39 Clues series
This is another series that taught me loads about history. I read it so so many times and still love it! The 39 Clues follows a brother and sister in a race around the world to find clues left by their ancestors to a secret treasure.

7. Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage
This is one that I think all Harry Potter lovers would adore, though it is completely different in plot and characters! Beginning with Magyk, the Septimus Heap series explores a fantasy world of magic which is extremely intricate and very entertaining.

8. Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke
I always loved this series because I would pretend I was the main character, Maggie, and could read characters out of books too! What an awesome power that would be, hey?

9. His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman
I adored this series when I was younger, and last year re-read it to see if it still held it's magic. I actually found that I enjoyed it even more this time as I was able to understand so much more of the underlying themes and symbols. I highly recommend that you read this as an adult, as Pullman's atheistic beliefs really come out in this series, particularly the final book, The Amber Spyglass. I definitely enjoyed this one the most as everything came together and you could finally see what was really driving the whole 'dust' notion. Super interesting!

10. Rondo series by Emily Rodda
This trilogy warms the cockles of my heart! I still love to go back and re-read it, re-immersing myself in the beautiful world of Rondo. It is such a lovely, funny series that reminds you of all that is good in the world.

Let me know what books were your favourite in the comments!

Love always,

Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment