Wednesday 3 February 2016

January Wrap Up!

Hey hey!

I am very happy to say that I read a total of 8 books in January, most of which I extremely enjoyed.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - 5/5
I've posted a review of both the book and TV show of Outlander, which you can check out here if you're interested. But in short, this book is incredible and you need to go read it now. And after you've read it, you need to go watch the TV show which is also incredible!

Matched by Allie Condie - 4.5/5
I've heard mixed things about this series, but I saw it for a couple of dollars in a charity shop and thought I'd give it a go! I really appreciated the premise of this novel, and as a lover of dystopian novels found it very thought-provoking. Some of the characters I struggled to connect with and wished we could have learnt more of their backstories but all in all a very enjoyable read! Not sure that I will be continuing this series though, as I've hear terrible things about the second novel... Let me know what you think if you've read it.

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons - 5/5
This book. So many feels. An incredible historical fiction with one of the most beautiful romances I have ever read. Highly highly recommend, and I am definitely continuing on with this series.

Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon - 5/5
As a new obsesser of everything Scotland thanks to Outlander, I had to give Doon a go! Based on the play Brigadoon, this is the perfect adventure/romance in which two best friends stumble across another world. I found this a really heartwarming read.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - 5/5
So obviously I am seriously behind the times with this series, as it seems to be one of the most talked about YA novels in the book blogging/vlogging world. And now I finally understand why. I was a little unsure when I heard this was about an assassin, but holy cow it is addictive and I've now gone and purchased the rest of the series!

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout - 3.5/5
I had heard some amazing things about this series, but I have to say that I was a little disappointed. To be fair, I'm not a huge lover of sci-fi, but I also found it very hard to connect with the characters. I found them all very angsty, and also found some of the writing a bit awkward. However, it was quite a gripping story so would recommend for lovers of aliens and romance!

Graceling by Kristin Cashore - 5/5
Another amazing fantasy adventure with a beautiful romance as a bonus! I especially loved the main character, Katsa. She was a strong female in various different aspects, however she had evident character development and we got to see her soft side as well.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken - 5/5
My last post was a review of this fantastic novel, which you can check out here if you'd like. This book was absolutely insanely wonderful and completely tore my heart into pieces. In a good way. Kind of. What I'm trying to say is read it!!

As you can see, I've given out a heckload of 5 stars this month. This is partly due to me being the kind of reader who generally enjoys everything I read. However it is MOSTLY due to the fact that I chose loads of amazing books this month! Highly recommend you check them out if you haven't already.

Let me know in the comments if you've read any of these, and what you rated them. Also let me know what you read in the month of January!

Love always,

Ari

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I'm so glad you enjoyed Throne of Glass! I didn't enjoy Matched very much, mainly because I read it right after Delirium, and there were too many similarities. But it's about time that I reread it again! I've heard of many of the other books you've read, but I have yet to get to them. The Darkest Mind is really high on my TBR list, especially since there are so many people praising Alexandra Bracken's newest book Passenger!
    Great post! :)

    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Delirium yet, which is probably lucky then! Yeah, I've heard so much about Passenger too, another one for the TBR list. Thanks lovely! :)

      Delete