Wednesday 30 March 2016

The Fifty Bookish Questions Tag!

Hey there!

Hope you're all having a fabulous day. I came across this tag on My Little Book Blog and thought it sounded lovely and a great way to get some conversations going.

So, without further ado, here is the Fifty Bookish Questions Tag!

1. What was the last book you read?
A Court of Thorns and Roses, by Sarah J. Maas!

2. Was it a good one?
I did really enjoy it, and I adore Sarah's writing style! I did have a few issues though, which you can read about if you're interested in my review.

3. What made it good?
Like I said, I really enjoy Sarah J. Maas' writing style, it flows so well and her descriptions are so vivid. I loved the storyline and the world-building was so interesting, I can't wait to find out more about it as the series progresses.

4. Would you recommend it to other people?
For sure! Especially if you loved Throne of Glass, and if you enjoy young adult fantasy.

5. How often do you read?
Every single day, without fail! I always read before going to sleep, and often while I'm eating breakfast, or waiting for lectures to start at uni.

6. Do you like to read?
Need I even answer this one!

7. What was the last bad book you read?
I don't like to say that a book is bad, as it's all dependent on personal preference. And, to be honest, I haven't really read many books that I've been disappointed in recently! Woo!!

8. What made you dislike it?
Refer to above.

9. Do you wish to be a writer?
Yes yes yes!! It's been my dream since I was little to be an author, and I'm currently writing a novel. I've started loads of novels before but was never really set on the ideas I was having. I think I was forcing myself to come up with ideas too much, but this one came to me as I was falling asleep one night and I'm super duper excited about it! It's a young adult historical fiction/fantasy (a mouthful, I know!) and I'm in the process of planning and writing a first draft.

10. Has any book ever influenced you greatly?
Of course! There are many books that have influenced me, but the most significant for sure is Harry Potter. I feel like my personality definitely reflects a mixture between Ron and Hermione, and whenever I had to make a decision growing up I would always think what would Harry, Ron and Hermione do? As with loads of people, Hermione made me feel like it was okay to love books at school, and not worry if other people thought it was weird!

11. Do you read fan fiction?
I used to read it a bit, but I've never really gotten super into it. I think it's incredible the wonderful work that fans create based on what they love though!

12. Do you write fan fiction?
Nope, it seems loads of fun though!

13. What is your favourite book?
Aaaah this is such a difficult question, as I have loads! Of course the entire Harry Potter series is an automatic number one, but after that at the moment I think I'd have to say Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. It absolutely amazed me, and I have not stopped thinking about it since I read an ARC copy a couple of months ago. You know that feeling when you just connect with a book and it absolutely speaks to your soul? That was Salt to the Sea.

14. What is your least favourite book?
I don't think I really have one, but one that I don't necessarily dislike but am extremely disturbed by is Animal Farm by George Orwell. Of course, I appreciate it so so much in regards to the social message it encompasses and I think it's an absolute piece of art. It's also funny, as Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of my favourite books EVER, but for some reason I find Animal Farm very difficult to read.

15. Do you prefer physical books or reading on a device?
Without a doubt, physical books!! I am getting a kindle soon for when I study abroad next year, and understand that they are super handy.

16. When did you learn to read?
I'm honestly not sure. I do know that I started reading very young, compared to my classmates. Before I could even read I would sit with novels pretending, turning the pages for hours apparently and just looking at the words! Books are for sure a part of me.

17. What is your favourite book you had to read in school?
Nineteen Eighty-Four! I'd already read it twice before we had to study it in English, and was soooo excited!!

18. What is your favourite book series?
Harry Potter, duh! A lot of my favourite books are series, though. Some others include The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, Throne of Glass, His Dark Materials, Rondo, and the Stravaganza series.

19. Who is your favourite author?
Again, I have loads! A few of the top one are J. K Rowling, Ruta Sepetys, Alexandra Bracken, Cassandra Clare, John Green and Diana Gabaldon.

20. What is your favourite genre?
Definitely YA, and in that genre mainly fantasy and historical fiction. I used to mainly read contemporary but have been branching out from that much more lately.

21. Who is your favourite character in a book series?
Ron is my favourite character in Harry Potter! I also love Alec from The Mortal Instruments, and Liam from The Darkest Minds trilogy.

22. Has a book ever transported you somewhere else?
Every book I've ever read!

23. Which book do you wish had a sequel?
I feel like most stand alones are written so that they don't require sequels, and are wrapped up really well. However, just out of interest, I would love to know what happens to the characters in The Fault in Our Stars!

24. Which book do you wish didn't have a sequel?
Twilight. I adored the first book but really didn't enjoy the rest.

25. How long does it take you to read a book?
It really depends on if I'm really busy with uni and life at the time, and how much I'm enjoying the book. A lot of the time it can only take me two or three days, but of course really big books also take me longer, so around a week for those.

26. Do you like when books become movies?
Yes!! I get attached to books and characters super easily, and when I love them it doesn't bother me too much if the movie based on them isn't great. I just love seeing what is done with it in that different creative form. Like with Shadowhunters, it isn't a great TV shows, but I adore the series and characters so much that I'll be watching and loving every episode!

27. Which book was ruined by it's movie adaptation?
None! Books and movies are completely different so should be considered as separate entities and not affect one another.

28. Which movie has done a book justice?
I adore The Fault in Our Stars film, I think it was done exquisitely!

29. Do you read newspapers?
Not really, I tend to watch the news more or read it online.

30. Do you read magazine?
Yep! I love Frankie magazine, my mum got me a subscription for it for Christmas, wooo!!

31. Do you prefer newspapers or magazines?
Magazines! More pretty photography and creativity involved.

32. Do you read while in bed?
YES.

33. Do you read while on the toilet?
Hahaha I love this question, but no I don't!

34. Do you read while in the car?
It makes me feel super sick reading in cars on or trains but I still try! It's weird, some days it doesn't make me feel as sick. I do a lot of travelling backwards and forwards from home to college so I always try to read then.

35. Do you read while in the bath?
Yep! I'm perpetually scared of dropping my book in the bath, but I find it so relaxing.

36. Are you a fast reader?
Yep, especially when I'm loving the book.

37. Are you a slow reader?
See above haha!

38. Where is your favourite place to read?
I made a whole post about this not longer ago, here!

39. Is it hard for you to concentrate while you read?
Nope! With everything else I'm a pretty distracted person, always daydreaming. But when I'm reading I'm completely disconnected from everything around me, so could be in a room full of talking people and not have a problem immersing myself in my book.

40. Do you need a room to be silent while you read?
Like I said above, nope. I don't play my own music or anything while I read, so if I'm alone in my room it'll be silent when I'm reading. But if I'm waiting for a lecture to start or something and the room's loud, it doesn't bother me.

41. Who gave you your love for reading?
I think it's pretty intrinsic, as I've just always been a reader. However, my mum used to be quite a big reader, and my step dad still loves to read, so that definitely rubbed off on me!

42. What book is next on your list to read?
Cinder by Marissa Meyer! I need to pick up a copy from my library, but cannot wait to finally read it.

43. When did you start to read chapter books?
I reckon I must've been in about Grade 2, so I would have been 7ish.

44. Who is your favourite children's book author?
The classic, Roald Dahl! An absolute genius, I also adore Enid Blyton.

45. Which author would you most want to interview?
My number one dream is to meet J K Rowling!!

46. Which author do you think you'd be friends with?
Definitely John Green, he's amazing! Also Alexandra Bracken!!

47. What book have you reread the most?
I reread books a lot, so there's quite a list. The Harry Potter series is at the top of course (I've read them about 13 times!). Also The Fault in Our Start, Nineteen Eighty-Four, North Child, City of Masks, Magyk, Series of Unfortunate Events, Reckless, Shiver, to name a few!!

48. Which books do you consider "classics"?
I guess the first things I think of when I hear classics are Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, F Scott Fitzgerald, the Brontes, all the well known ones! It's hard to define though, I guess books that can speak to people despite their age or time.

49. Which books do you think should be taught in every school?
I know a lot of people don't enjoy studying them, but I love The Great Gatsby and Nineteen Eighty-Four. I also think Salt to the Sea would be an incredible book to be studied at school. Oh, and The Book Thief!

50. Which books should be banned from all schools?
None!! Students should be exposed to all perspectives so as to learn to be critical readers! Of course it depends on the student's ages, like Fifty Shades of Grey shouldn't be at a primary school, but you get what I mean!!

I hope you enjoyed this tag, it was so much fun, and if you haven't done it I tag YOU. Let me know in the comments what book you think should be taught at every school, and who is your favourite author?

Love always,

Ari








6 comments:

  1. Ahh, are you participating in Camp NaNo this April then?? :D
    For me, I usually like having my own music when I read - reading in silence is a bit scary haha - it's just me and the book then, and I get so distracted xD
    And I totally agree about Fifty Shades of Grey being in school libraries haha - books shouldn't be banned, but if it's explicit...then yeah they probably shouldn't be found in school libraries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't, but may sign up now!!
      That's fair enough, some of my friends love listening to music while reading. xx

      Delete
  2. I so agree with you on TFIOS! One of the best book to movie adaptations. I also really want to read nineteen eight four one day, it looks quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, hey!! You definitely should, I'm sure you'll love it! xx

      Delete
  3. I absolutely loved the movie for The Fault in Our Stars! It actually made me cry, even when the book didn't (lol). I'm so glad you enjoyed ACOTAR, and the fact that you haven't read any books you didn't like recently ;D I find myself getting impatient quite quickly with books in YA, especially in the contemporary genre.

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it's so beautiful! And I hate it when that happens, hope you get out of the slump! xx

      Delete